Thursday, April 7, 2011

April 2, 2011 - Palm Beach, Florida

April 2, 2011
Being a small reptile who lives in a library, and having the unique reptilian ability to read and surf the internet, I had recently found myself aching to visit some of the wonderful places I had seen and read about. 
I almost lost my wanderlust when we experienced an unusually warm, summer day as April began.  But true to the strange weather of this desert state, the ground was soon covered in a blanket of winter snow. I left as soon as I felt the chill coming down from the north and scurried onto a plane headed for the warmest state that first came to my mind; Florida!

First time I read about Florida, I fell in love. Palm Beach, to be exact, and it seemed just the perfect place for a little guy who loves warm, humid climates with lots of places to sunbathe and play water polo.
Right as I got off the plane, I knew I’d made the right choice.

I had dreamed about staying in the Ritz-Carlton and get a place with my own private balcony, but it turns out the Ritz does not have rooms for scaly critters like myself… that and I had failed to bring money with me.  Not that a lizard would have money, but the cashier was unimpressed with my empty pockets.
I moved on to the one place I’d wanted to visit when I first learned of Palm Beach, the Calypso Bay Waterpark!  I almost jumped in the air when I saw the wonderful waterslides and all around wetness in the park.  After spending most of the day moving from basking in the sun and racing through waterslides, I was a very tired little dragon and needed a place to rest.  I found that place in the Busch Wildlife Sanctuary. 
 I entered the park and was met with the wonderful array of animal sounds that reminded me of my birthplace in Brazil.  As I heard the sound of a large bird of prey, I quickly remembered that in a place like this, a little lizard like me is no longer a tourist and I scurried under a nice warm rock and went straight to sleep.
After enjoying all of the wonderful sights of Palm Beach, I found that it was time to go home. I climbed up into a plane heading back to Salt Lake and fell asleep immediately as the plane took off.  (Those who know me, may know that I am very fond of my sleep)  I arrived in Salt Lake and was met with a burst of cold air.  Oh well, at least my house is perfectly comfortable.  And I hurried back to my comfy habitat and to my computer to catch up on all the FB news that I’d missed while on my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment