Thursday, April 21, 2011

April 24, 2011 - New Orleans, Louisiana

It's getting towards the end of April, and I still keep feeling the cold blow through the doors from all the winter weather here in Kearns. Time for another trip, it's Spring Break! 
I have been just itching to get out of Utah and go see some more great places.  I was browsing online again on my silver laptop. I wanted to go somewhere with lots of water, fun, and enough humidity for my comfort.  What I came up with was Louisiana. Surprised? So was I. It wasn't till I started researching Louisiana that I found out why my search had led me there.  Very humid climate, with one of the largest rivers in the world, and a town known for its fun and parties. New Orleans here I come!

 
First thing I wanted to try out was the historical and famous boats skimming the surface of the Mississippi river.  Would you believe they still have steamboats running up and down the Mississippi?! It's like right out of Huckleberry Finn!  Being a literary addict, I was thrilled to ride on the helm of the wonderful boat!

After a wonderful afternoon riding the high seas... or rivers in this case, I decided it was time to try out some of that Cajun cooking I'd
read about. Nothing prepared me for the wonderfully spicy food I would taste. 
Now I'm sure you humans reading this may love that spice, but I'll stick to crickets! And what would you know? They have Cajun crickets as well!  I tried 12 before my mouth actually lit on fire from the spice and I had to dunk myself in the water glass of the gentleman beside me. (I never could figure out why he asked the waiter for a different glass after that...)
    
After the delicious food, I headed out for a night on the New Orleans town. I had no idea what to expect! The music was coming from every restaurant. It was as tasty as the food! The world was a bright as if the sun was still up, and I couldn't help but dance a little myself.

I was having so much fun I didn't realize I had wandered back out onto the river.  The river called out to me and I dove in for a late night swim. As I was swimming, something large paddled toward me in the water.  Terrified, I practically ran across the top of the water to the shore.  Good thing I did. No sooner did I get to land, I ran up a tree and a giant American Alligator chomped at the tree trunk below me! I'd never seen a lizard so huge! He must eat 10,000 crickets a day to get that big! Or maybe it's something in that Cajun cookin'?
 It was time to go home to my safe terrarium where there is no such thing as giant lizards trying to eat me!

I headed home, taking another steamboat ride up the river of course, till I reached St. Louis.  From there, I hitched a flight home and scurried to my safe haven. I got home, took a long nap of course... my little legs were tired after such a scare. Then I logged on my Facbook to check on my friends. 
Next trip, I'm going somewhere where I don't have to run from predators! Travel is fun, but not when you're only covering turf cause someone's gonna eat you if you don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment